- S.O. 4016 – Status: 02/01/2021 REFERRED TO ETHICS AND INTERNAL GOVERNANCE
- A01730 – Status: 01/11/2021 referred to transportation
Below is the list of benefits offered to members of the New York Guard (State Defense Force) by the state of New York.
- Base Military Pay – Service Members will be paid the same pay and allowances as those of the armed forces according to grade, rating and length of service.
- Section 6 – SAD pay will be adjusted to at least $125 per day to include BAH, BAS, and COLA.
- Section 6 – SAD base pay is exempt from State income tax
- Section 46 – Base pay is NOT exempt from State income tax
- Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) based on your duty location
- Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) based on your duty location
- Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS) based on rank (officer or enlisted)
- Service Members are eligible to enroll in the New York State Deferred Compensation Plan.
- Service Members serving on SAD do not earn military or New York State retirement credits. Some New York State and local government employees may continue to earn New York State retirement credits for his/her non-military, civilian employment while on military leave to perform SAD. Service Members serving on SAD who have civilian employment with the State of New York or a local governmental agency should check with his/her civilian employer to determine whether he/she continues to earn New York State retirement credits while on military leave to perform SAD.
- No medical insurance is provided to Service Members serving on SAD
- If a Service Member is injured in the line of duty (LOD), Service Member’s medical costs, if approved through the LOD process can be paid. Incapacitation pay may be given if eligible.
- SGLI premium reimbursed thru NYS – Section 6 only
- Service Members generally receive 4 pass days per 14 day pay period.
Service Members earn up to 9 personal days each State Fiscal Year (SFY). Service Members can use earned personal days immediately.
- Service Members earn up to 13 leave days each SFY
- Leave starts to accrue when Service Members start on mission. Service Members cannot use accrued leave until they have been on the payroll for 13 payroll periods.
- Service Members are afforded ten holidays per year as defined by the NYS General Construction Law.
- Service Members who are released without fault from SAD may be eligible for New York State unemployment benefits. Eligibility determinations are made by the New York State Department of Labor.